"DARK MAGUS MILES AHEAD NO. 7"


































(from Visions of a Skylark Dressed in Black)


Through the glowing-bronze reeds of Harlem midnight
and the plum-rose bloom of Spanish twilight
African-griot-magus waters the garden
of his neon spirals here in the valley
of my jazz-consoled hunger and madness.

70 x 7,000 miles we travel the naked truth
of hidden beginnings and guessed-at endings,
African-griot-magus inhaling demons more easily
than I exhale peace of mind or clarity of soul.
African-griot-magus balancing divinity
like tornadoes humming on the tips of three angels’ tongues.

Inside my third mind I build a planet ruled
by jasmine, violets, and the shadows of voices bubbling joy.
With my seventh mind I hammer a chain of wonders
that hold African-griot-magus to all of his promises.
With my ninth mind I resurrect my first
and dance slow to the music of my soul made new.

80 x 8,000 years we sing the naked story
of blue-boned Harlem midnight and plum-rose Spanish twilight.
African-griot-magus horn-blowing waves of dotted light
that rise in the east and wander blind through the west.
African-griot-magus, face that is my face, unafraid of destruction,
wailing like Joshua illuminated pages for a new creation.
by Aberjhani

author of THE RIVER OF WINGED DREAMS
and ENCYCLOPEDIA OF THE HARLEM RENAISSANCE

(Poem title after painting by Roy LaGrone)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Dream to Book: How I Wrote Dreams of the Immortal City Savannah

The Year of James Baldwin Now in Full Classic Literary Swing (part 1) - by Aberjhani

THE EXTRAORDINARY TALENT OF BEAUFORD DELANEY